Ancestry Library Edition
This version of the consumer Ancestry product is available free of charge but only on site at an OWWL Library.
The URL is https://www.ancestrylibrary.com/. When accessed from a library you will go directly to the Ancestry search.
Library visitors can use their own internet-connected devices (laptops, tablets, etc.) at the library, or use library computers. We recommend that visitors using library computers bring their own flash drives.
This free genealogy research service is tied to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, but does not involve any sort of proselytism. The records and contents are very similar to Ancestry, but it is available for free, anywhere you have internet access. The URL is: https://familysearch.org/
The Pioneer Library System and individual libraries have been working to digitize local historic newspapers and make them available online. They are currently distributed across several repositories.
Check out our index of OWWL area historical newspapers to see a list of regional publications with links to digital content, links to OWWL catalog records, and links to information about the titles from the Library of Congress.
- Digital Archives of the Pioneer Library System - various titles from Livingston (Dansville focus), Ontario (Naples focus), and Wyoming (Arcade focus) Counties
- Digital Archives of the Clyde-Savannah Public Library - various titles from Wayne County (Clyde focus)
- Digital Archives of the Perry Public Library - various titles from Wyoming County (Perry focus)
- Digital Archives of the Sodus Community Library - various titles from Wayne County (Sodus focus)
- Digital Archives of the Stevens Memorial Library & The Attica Historical Society - Attica News and other Attica materials (cemetery plot books, scrapbooks, etc.)
- Digital Archives of the Williamson Public Library - various titles from Wayne County (Williamson focus)
- New York State Historic Newspapers - this repository includes newspapers from across NYS, including papers contributed by Geneva Public Library, Macedon Public Library, Newark Public Library, and Walworth-Seely Public Library
- Chronicling America - this repository includes newspapers from across the United States; the NYS papers are mainly from New York City
Other online repositories
- New York Heritage - this repository is a project of the Empire State Library Network and includes historical, scholarly, and cultural materials held by NYS libraries, museums, and archives. OWWL area collections include: Geneva Historical Society, Geneva Public Library, Macedon Public Library, Naples Library, Newark Public Library
- New York State Archives Digital Collections - primarily materials from the NYS Archives
- New York State Library Digital Collections - NYS government documents and historical materials held by the NYS Library
Many of our OWWL libraries have extensive local history resources linked to their library webpages. Library website URLs, as well as hours, contact information, and directions are available from our libraries directory page: http://owwl.org/libraries